With the all-new Xpedition2 it is quick and easy to plan and view routes on a variety of international topographic mapping, share your favourite routes, tracks and much more.
Xpedition2 now has full functionality on Smartphones and Tablets, as well as PC & Mac
Snap-to-Road car routing comes as standard, along with Satmap Adventure mapping.
Please note that Xpedition2 LIVE is now fully launched, having been previously available in BETA format
A login is required to establish a free, standard User Account.
Please click below for - Xpedition2 Quick Start User Guide
With Xpedition2 Premium you'll have access to a raft of features and improvements to help you better plan for your next outdoor adventure. For just £40 a year you get,
- A Wider range of high quality worldwide mapping,
- Access to full GB Ordnance Survey 1:50k Landranger,
- Access to full GB Ordnance Survey 1:25k Explorer,
- Global "Snap-to-Track" routing for foot, bike and car
- Fully flexible spit-screen route planner.
- Printable route information and stats.
- Advanced route editing.
- Split-screen planning.
Please note that Xpedition2 is now fully launched in LIVE mode. Any free or Premium accounts will have fully carried across from the BETA version. Please use the link below to jump straight to Xpedition2 Premium subscription details on the Satmap shop.
Active 10 Version History
Software Version History For The Active 10
- Changes in version 1.500
- Changes in version 1.450
- Changes in version 1.420
- Changes in version 1.400
- Changes in version 1.328
- Changes in version 1.323
- Changes in version 1.300
- Changes in version 1.200
- Changes in version 1.18-9
Changes in version 1.500
- Fixing a bug that generates inconsistent GPX files.
- EU languages update.
- Software metadata has been corrected.
- Screen Data Options SETTING, Trail Markers Size wording clarified.
- Major Changes
- Change in 'Backlight' settings to represent the action of changing between the 'Sunlight Filter' / 'Red Filter' / 'Normal' modes.
- Removal of the hibernate mode setting in 'Advanced Power Control', and inclusion of hibernate controls in the 'Power off?' menu access via the on/off button.
- Inclusion of the 'toggle' feature in 'Create New Route'. Available via the main menu>routes menu>create new route>'top left side button'.
- Adding the 'position info' screen to the primary screens for easier access to the 'map packs'. This appears immediately after the 'GPS Map'/'Planning' screens.
- Implemented a live blue spot in the 'route plan'. When the route is active, the 'route plan' screen updates every 2 seconds to show the progress along the route against the elevation profile.
- Change in 'Routes' Menu to represent the action of deactivating a route (when a route is activated).
- Trial dot size control have been moved from the 'Position Info' screen and is now controlled via main menu>settings>screen data options>trial.
- Minor Changes
- Discharge profile for battery life indicator has been adjusted to provide a more gradual decline in reported battery drain for the Lipol battery.
- Trip log behaviour when stopped - data is no longer committed to the RAW.gpx file when trip log is paused.
- Inclusion of revision of software version number on the 'About' screen (1.5.9193 instead of 1.500) and other changes.
- Made 'position info' screen identical in 'gps map' and 'planning' mode.
- Removal of settings deemed to be detrimental to the user experience (ex. Screen Always Off).
- Inclusion of 'Peru PSAD56 21N' projection as a 'position display format' with extended boundaries to cover Guyana. (Extended bounds West to -61.5 and South to 1.1N.)
- Change of format in 'Position Info' screen (in the area with the orange background) from 'degrees minutes seconds', to 'degrees decimal'.
- Data box defaults changed to include 'trip time'.
- Resolved an issue which caused the GPS MAP Screen to stutter periodically at high speed
- Stopping the TRIP LOG now stops the updates in Maximum Speed
- Last known location now saved in all scenarios
- Added the Maidenhead Locator System as a grid entry system
- Improved conversions to and from Swiss Grid
- OOIs/Objects of Interest
- Objects of Interest (OOIs)
The collective term for all "points" of interest - IOI, LOI, POI, AOI and Grids. OOIs can include rich text and pictures which can only be added via SatSYNC 1.5. Users can easily hide or show all OOIs on the Internal Storage and SD card, and visibility can be set individually, at folder level or globally. Individual icons are only available for POIs and can be set individually or at folder level.
- Points of Interest (POIs)
A point on a map linked to geo-referenced data (latitude/longitude) displaying text/image with information about that point (i.e. hotel, restaurant, viewpoint, site of special/touristic/historical importance, etc).
- Areas of Interest (AOIs)
Allows users to highlight/plot an area of interest of any shape or size (instead of a point or line) which allows the user to measure the area of the shape, mark an area of interest, or as an alternative to the circular POI warning radius. The area can be filled with different colours and patterns.
- Lines of Interest (LOIs)
Allows users to plot a line of interest (LOI) instead of a single POI (Point of Interest), i.e. multiple waypoints joined together by lines. LOIs cannot be followed or activated like a route, but rather are used to represent boundaries or alternative routes. The description page shows the length of the line and the line colour can be edited.
- Items of Interest (IOIs)
A non geo-referenced POI (Point of Interest). This is digital information can be saved on the unit, such as a graphic showing information about a species of bird/flower, or instructions for something) for reference only, but not necessarily assigned to a specific point on the map.
A group of square-shaped AOIs in a large square/grid formation. They allow users to overlay a square grid/table onto the map on the unit (the rows are labelled AA, AB, AC... and the columns 1, 2, 3... - so users can refer to square â€œAA3â€ or â€œAB2â€. Grids are used to split an area into searchable chunks when search and rescue teams go on a rescue mission, for example.
- Various information relating to OOIs
- The default size of each cell in a grid is 300m x 300m
- On grid coordinate entry, joystick up increases the number, joystick down decreases the number.
- Longer range on POI warning radius - now up to 10 km
- OOIs can contain rich text and pictures both of which can only be added via SatSYNC 1.5 (or later)
- When panning OOIs temporarily disappear from the map to improve panning speed
- You can easily edit all POIs in a particular folder to:
- Make all POIs visible
- Make all POIs invisible
- Set the same icon for all the POIs
- Users can also easily make all OOIs, on both the Internal Storage and SD Card, visible or invisible
- Sharper icons for indicating the visibility status of an OOI
- POIs easier to identify in the OOI Menu as POI icons are shown next to POI names
- When you move the green target to a POI while plotting a route, you’ll see the name of the POI in the top right hand corner of the screen
- Improved popup menu on the Planning or GPS Map Screen when you click on an OOI:
- you can use the joystick to hide OOIs without going to the details page of the POI
- Nearby: shows a list of nearby OOIs and routes
- The active Route color can now be edited to be yellow or blue, with various fill patterns. The GoTo line will also show in this same color. The default color of an active route color is blue.
- The default value of the setting “Showing Inactive Routes” is “Show Inactive Routes SP”
- Cleaner route card – even easier to read
- Improved popup menu on the Planning or GPS Map Screen when you click on a route:
- you can use the joystick to activate or deactivate a route without going to the Routes Menu
- Nearby: shows a list of nearby routes and OOIs
- A sun filter (Main Menu -> Settings -> Backlight) has been introduced to help improve the visibility of the map during bright sunlight. Some of the finer details of the map are reduced.
- After converting a trail, the route is selected and active.
- An icon appears on the screen warning that memory is low â€“ triggered when SD card, internal flash or RAM reach 95% or when SD card inserted is read only.
- Advanced Power Saving
- Advanced Power Saving Mode to also applied to the PLANNING screen
- Default hibernate increased to 16 hours
- Improved Calculations
- Improved moving average speed when walking slowly
- Improved ETA – based on your average speed if you are on the move and have a satellite lock
- Improved calculation of bearings
- Added accelerated scrolling to the Route Profile and lists of OOIs, routes and the ROUTE CARD
- New Zealand Map Grid (NZMG) added as an option
- The default value of the setting “Auto Clear Trail Data” is now "OFF"
- Buttons on the map slide out after 2s instead of 4s
- Optional warning radius of 161m included for geocaches
- Sharper contrast for individual items in the Settings Menu
- Unattended upgrades, i.e., you don’t have to disconnect the unit from your PC and then restart the unit to complete the upgrade process provided you use a new upgrade program available in SatSYNC 1.5
Changes in version 1.450
- Users with early GB units which have the GB vector road map "OS Meridian™ 2" can turn the road names on or off by using "Show Titles on Maps" (Main Menu > Settings > Screen Data Options)
- Improved ETA calculations
- Backlight no longer goes above 80% in Advanced Power Mode
- 'M' for magnetic bearing now displayed when using MilRads
- Resolved the issue where renaming occasionally deleted a route
- Umlauts in POI names are preserved after restarting the unit
- Improved the manual entry of Grid Ref using Degrees Minutes Seconds decimal
- Updated languages; now includes Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish
Changes in version 1.420
- When coming out of Hibernate Mode, the unit will now always read the SD Card without it needing to be re-inserted.
- The Set Trip Data option in Settings is now accessible on all versions of the products.
- The memory usage in relation to POIs has been improved.
- For customers using early versions of the unit which are displaying UK vector road maps (this is the simple base map which ONLY shows roads and is NOT the 1:250k OS map), v1.42 will now display roads names.
- The Default Key now resets ALL settings to original configuration.
- If there is only one route it is no longer automatically activated - the user has to set this now.
Changes in version 1.400
- New Splash Screen
- Status Bar
- Small Battery Icon
- Improved Power Metering - Optimised for Lithium Primaries and LiPol Rechargeables
- Run / Stop Icon for Statistics Log
- Toggle Icon - When alternate mapping is available.
- WAAS/EGNOS Enabled - GPS Icon turns blue - Selective availability : WAAS (USA) - EGNOS (Europe)
- GPS Map Page
- Track Up (Low Centre Spot) - Blue spot lowered option to allow more mapping to be seen ahead. Only 2 data boxes allowable to show max mapping.
- Toggle Function (Top Left Button). New concept of toggle maps. Satmap now has the ability to issue different map "types". For example Aerial coverage can toggle to A-Z mapping, that then toggles to CAA mapping, and then toggles back to Base mapping (typically 1:50k or 1:25k). When an alternate map is available the status bar icon will show. On switchover, the name or type of the new map will briefly show (i.e. "Aerial", "A-Z" or "Base Maps")
- Better handling of co-incident points - i.e. a waypoint on a POI (list box now appears) - allowing the POSITION INFO screen to be always accessed.
- Large Map Area/Aerial
- Better supported: Map packs treated in handy bite size - to effectively allow unlimited mapping to be used (limited currently by 32GB SD card size)
- JPG tile format now supported - leading to better handling of very large / hi res aerial imagery.
- Distance measurement tools improved. Using the Set Marker function (joystick press whilst in Planning Map) it is now possible to measure distance and bearing (either Mag. or Grid) between any 2 points. Previously users could only measure from their own location.
- Lat/Long (DD MM.DDD) and any other supported Grid Ref system can be displayed simultaneously on the Position Info Screen (E.G UTM or MRGS)
- Effectively a Stand By mode - default set at 2 hours (during which time the satellite data is saved (ephemeris and almanac) - so unit does NOT take 20 seconds to load Windows, and does NOT take 1:30 to get satellite lock. Typical lock time out of hibernate : 3-10 seconds. Essentially this means that the useful battery life can be extended by switching on for a quick lock - and then switch off. Note: logging and snail trail does NOT occur during hibernate.
- Hibernate timeout added to Advanced Power Control (0-8 hours)
- On backlight boost button - now saves a jpg of the screen display (with date time stamp to a. SD card, or b. Flash if no SD card available). Press the Back Light button for 2 seconds and a camera icon appears on the status bar to indicate that a screen shot has been captured.
- More options to set target speed
- Memory Status : More detailed and clearer information about memory usage (SD Card, Flash and RAM). Low memory exclamation mark added in Memory Status area.
- Backlight - many more low settings (1,2,4,6,8.10,20,30% etc) - to protect night vision.
- Red Backlight - also to protect night vision.
- Moon Phases added for Data boxes.
- Enhanced: New maps and datums now self-contained on SD cards, so they will plug and play without the need for fresh software updates for new countries.
- Routes Menu tidied up - functions now on buttons - list is for actual routes only.
- Folder concept now supported
- Better handling of very large routes and high numbers of waypoints. More strict filtering to restrict on required waypoints to be displayed.
- Invisible / Inactive routes now do not load in memory at all.
- Inactive routes can be set to show only "SP" - start point - allowing many more routes to be loaded.
- Better track to trail convert - better filtering to retain fewest WPs but best shape.
- Better visibility of active routes - the current leg contains blue arrows and has a blue border.
- Warning radius increased to 3km (i.e. total diameter 6km) - and red hatched for warning purposes.
- POI-Set by Postcode now available (for the UK units with Postcode data).
- POI-Set by Co-ordinate added.
- Enhanced support for Geocaching.com data (i.e. full hints and geocache log are supported)
- Folder concept supported.
- POI Icon selection - extending to spots, geocaching and other common symbols
- SatSync 1.4
- Folder manipulation on both the Internal Storage and SD Card available on units with platform 09.02.21 or higher.
- Imported Routes and POIs now available immediately in their respective menus without the need to restart the unit (platform 09.02.15 or higher)
- Routes and POIs display more accurately now.
- Buttons rearranged for more function and clarity.
- During Critical Battery shut down - unit will now be revived if connected to external power - previously it would always shut down.
- Battery fully charged Icon now supported (previously not available)
Changes in version 1.328
- GPX date format should be YYYY-MM-DD
- French datum added
- UTM coord entry
- GPX schema validation
- Ascent calculation improved
- Panning speed - Faster at 1:250m
Changes in version 1.323
- Zoom Floor lowered from 1:1,000 to 1:500 for improved viewing of aerial photography products when released.
- Support for Spanish and Catalan languages.
- More flash memory freed up for map handling, allowing bigger maps to be loaded in future.
- Updated support for German, Italian and French languages.
- Routes now saved by default to SD card (if present), allowing for optimal use of memory resources.
- Faster screen responses as soon as the Active10 acquires satellite lock, allowing for faster cold start times under certain conditions.
- Minor improvements for use with the SatSYNC application.
- Better handling of routes which have been "reversed".
Changes in version 1.300
- Map Features
- OSGB: the grid reference in the UK is now in 10 figure format (e.g. TQ 1596257240)
- European Datum: now included to support international mapping (e.g. UTM)
- User Interface
- European Languages: Swedish, French, German and Italian are now supported.
- GPS Position: now has a new icon featuring a Direction of Travel Indicator.
- Planning Screen: now shows the blue GPS position circle and the brown planning position circle on the screen.
- 2D GPS Data Indication: if the GPS signal is poor, the unit will display position but not elevation data. This is shown as a '2D' icon.
- Map Scale: this is now displayed continuously during zooming.
- Trail Up / North Up: the switch between these two options is now instant.
- Live GMT (UTC) Time: now added to the GPS Status screen.
- Button Lock: now available on double press of the Power Button (indicated by the padlock icon).
- Power Off Confirmation: two key operation to close the unit down to prevent accidental power off.
- Press & Hold Backlight On: in the Power Control setting it is now possible to select an 'Always Off' option on the Screen Turn Off function. This allows users to save power by having the backlight always off: to turn it on, press and hold the backlight boost button.
- Map Title Screen: this now auto cancels after 5 seconds.
- One Button Press: this is now the default setting, but the double press option can be restored in Button Control settings.
- New Data Box Options: total ascent, total descent, max and min elevation have been added.
- Trip Log Screen: the 'Stop' button now stops all data recording until re-started, including the height profile graph.
- Distance To End: now measures the distance to the end of the route, along the route itself.
- Knots & Nautical Miles: now available as an option.
- Waypoint and POI Names: now displayed when the cursor is over them.
- POI Naming: when POIs are entered there is a prompt to name them.
Changes in version 1.200
- Language Selection. When first installed, the new software allows users to select the operating language. Whatever language is selected, the unit is then set for the appropriate GPS position: i.e. selecting English sets up the GPS default to Great Britain.
- Map Zoom Scales. The zoom levels have been adjusted so that the unit now switches over at a level that provides a smoother transition from the 1:1m to the 1:250k mapping.
- Charger Control. When the charger is disconnected, the screen will turn on to ensure the user knows the unit is still on. (Note: the processor stays on when the battery is being charged as part of the safety system that monitors the charge state of the lithium battery).
- New Coordinate Schemes: the UTM and the MRGS coordinate schemes have been added, which allows users to refer to local printed maps when travelling overseas to acquire grid references (if they are available).
- Route / Waypoint Information. To check the elevation at a waypoint, place the cross hairs at the relevant point and centre press the joystick. The Route Map then appears: press the Profile button and the elevation will be shown, with the relevant waypoint indicated.
- Map Loading. The way the memory is being used has been improved to allow maps to load faster, and the large area maps (such as the half GB) to run more efficiently.
- GPS Accuracy. Instead of saying ‘Excellent’, the accuracy is now given as a number e.g. 5m (Note: this is an average reading.)
- Sunset / Sunrise. The calculations for sunrise and set have been re-written to be more accurate.
- Max Speed. The maximum operating speed of the unit has now been increased (in fact, it will operate at up to 780mph - but we trust that not many of our customers will need this feature!)
- SDHC Supported: High Capacity SD Cards are now supported by this software, allowing us to supply larger areas on one SD card.
Changes in version 1.8-9
- Device stability improved.
- The way the device handles memory has been altered - Map Packs will now load faster and there is also an improved handling of large Map Packs.
- Improved performance of reading large routes.
- High capacity SD cards (SDHC) of 4GB and larger are now supported.
- Norwegian Datums added - (UTM grid display added to v1.191).